Located in Kerry, near Newtown, we offer MOT testing for classes 4, 5L & 7; servicing and repairs on retail, trade and commercial vehicles. Our high vaulted garage enables us to MOT motor homes and carry out inspections and repairs on large vehicles.
A History of Tanat Valley Coaches & Motors - a family business.
1922 and Elvin being 14 years old and to the joy of the headmaster - has happily completed his academic studies at Llangedwyn now works on a local farm Tynygraig. He delighted in the work with the great shire horses admiring their strength and patience. His boss a Mr. Morris (no relation) knew nothing and understood less of the new motorized age dawning. It wasn’t until the early 1950s that the farm had its first tractor and soon after a car, a beautiful Rover. Mrs. Morris would sit proudly yet nervously in the back seat clinging to the hand strap by the passenger door whilst her husband, trilby hat at a jaunty slant, would instruct the car to ‘’gettup’ or ‘’wooohh!!’’.
By 1925 a now fully grown Elvin became interested in the car and business being run by his brother and their ever supportive mother. Elvin had learnt to drive very quickly helped by Bill. No test, no license required, so now he was ready to join in and he did. Williams and Morris was born.
The second half of 1920s saw great changes and improvements to the nation’s roads and this was seen in the Tanat Valley. Denbigh and Montgomeryshire County Councils were issuing lucrative contacts to local hauliers so the brothers acquire a lorry. Elvin spends the next two years with the lorry carrying stone for the great road construction as well as timber, fertilizer, animal feed and anything that can add to their income to other customers. Most of these commodities came into or left the valley by train so the small local stations were busy transfer posts.
Another opportunity presents itself as the residents of remote farms and villages living further away from the railway stations now needing to get themselves and their produce into the market at Oswestry on Wednesdays. So Wednesdays saw the lorry convert into a bus, wooden planks became the seats and a canvas placed over the body of the lorry to offer shelter. The farms, cottages and small holdings along the back lanes became the route and this service proved very successful. Hamlets such as Efail Rhyd, Briw, Bwlchyddar and villages like Llansilin, Llangedwyn and Penybont Llanerch Emrys were served. The little lorry/bus would enter Oswestry fully laden with eggs, calves, chickens, lambs, cheese and of course the passengers.« Prev Next »